Have you ever happened to buy household appliances and to get a poor translation of its user’s guide? Was it easy to connect household appliances if the translation did not correspond to the original instruction? Or perhaps you are a representative of an engineering company and have faced a situation when it is hard to find a good translation agency that would offer high quality translations of technical texts?
Here are a few words of advice you should bear in mind while ordering translations of technical texts and instructions.
- Technical translations are among the most demanded types of translation services; still, it is much harder to translate a technical text than a simple text.
- It is best to entrust the translation of technical guides and documents to experienced specialists. Low quality translations may result in malfunctioning systems, damaged devices or even worse outcomes. Just imagine what the incorrect translation of safety or earthing instructions can mean to a technician who maintains high-voltage electrical systems.
- A good translator of technical texts should know the original and target languages, the subject of translation and the terminology well.
- The technical text translation should be carried out very accurately and consistently. Even the smallest mistake in a guide or instruction may have catastrophic consequences.
- Technical texts are adapted according to the style norms of the country of the target language. A technical translation from German or English to Lithuanian is adapted according to the style norms of our country.
- Every technical translation must be proofread by an editor who checks the style of the text and correctness of terminology.
- Technical instructions are almost always full of graphic material – diagrams, module schemes, drawings, illustrations. Formatting and page layout specialists are needed so that it would be possible to work with the translated text without looking at the original. We translate technical documents from files of any format (pdf, cdr, jpg, html) and special technical programmes (e.g., AutoCAD or MS Project).
- It is important to choose a professional service provider who uses special software. The use of automated translation programmes enables to improve the translation quality and to save money on the long run. Technical translations are frequently updated; therefore, you will only need to have corrections / amendments of every updated version translated.